Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Thoughts from Health Care Discussion

The Presidential Transition Policy Team has encouraged Americans to attend Health Care discussions as part of President-elect Obama’s continuing efforts to reach out and directly involve us in our own government.

The 30 people who met last night at the American Spirit Center needed no prodding to talk about their health care experiences and what kind of system we need for the future. The discussion was more than lively and, at times, became very emotional. Attendees were mostly for universal health care but some expressed concern that such a system would take away incentives for individuals to live healthy lifestyles.

I’ve tried to capture the spirit of the discussion with some quotes that are not exact but portray the thoughts and ideas as closely as I could capture them:

I want to have the same health insurance that our senators and representatives have.

Socialized medicine will cause us to lose the best health care in the world.

Because many people do not have health insurance, our mortality rates are too high. We are 37th in the world in infant mortality.

I am fortunate because my health insurance is from an auto company. If the auto companies do not survive, I may lose my good health insurance.

I haven’t had health insurance for 12 years because I work as a contractor with GM. I am doing everything I possibly can to live as healthily as possible but I feel that I have no safety net if something should happen.

My son was able to find major medical insurance at low cost by searching and comparing different companies so insurance is available if people look for it.

It worries me that lazy people will benefit from the rest of us paying into the system.

I am in favor of HR676, the Kucinich-Conyers health care plan.

We came to talk about FOCA (Freedom of Choice Act). It will close all Catholic hospitals if this passes.

Health care is a human right.

Participants filled out surveys as requested by the Transition Team and when they have been tabulated in the next few days, we’ll post it on livingblue.org along with input received from those who were unable to attend.

Health care is of number one importance to all Americans including Livingston County residents. It is closely tied in with the economic conditions, the D3 crisis and domestic policies that our government needs to address immediately. You are encouraged to post your thoughts on health care here and we’ll include them in our report to the Transition Team.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What struck me about the issue was how many people emailed that they wanted to come but couldn't. This is obviously a high priority for many people.