Saturday, September 20, 2008

This Slacker Is Uprising in Livingston County

I am very pleased to tell everyone that I was able to attend the premiere of Michael Moore’s new documentary, ‘Slacker Uprising’ in Ann Arbor this past Thursday. I must say, that this documentary is awe-inspiring! I am partial to his last documentary Sicko; however after seeing ‘Slacker Uprising’, I feel more energized than before.

Maybe it was the audience and hearing their reactions, or maybe it was Mr. Moore and his talk he gave prior to screening the movie. There was something this past Thursday, that gave me an extra boost that I needed.

The documentary follows Michael Moore on his 2004 Slacker Uprising Tour, in which he vistied college campuses right up until election eve of 2004. Most of us know, that election, John Kerry won the youth vote by a land slide. The Slacker Tour; in which Moore empowered the youth to get off the couch and go vote, played a major role in that landslide victory. The Slacker Uprising documentary shows many of the stops, the controversary, and what the main stream media did not want us to see.

Durring Moore’s talk prior to the film, he did mention Bob Alexander running for Congress against current represenative Mike Rogers. He asked for the audience to donate to Mr. Alexander and two other Michigan congressional candidates. After the movie there were a couple of people standing outside the theater with buckets to collect cash. He asked for cash donations under $20. Those buckets were filling up quite fast.

On my drive home I reflected over the past fifteen months, since SiCKO was released in theaters. I have been fortunate to do many things that have shaped my life. One of which is run for public office. If you asked me two years ago, if I would run for public office, I would have laughed. However being able to share my story, being able to be a voice, a role model, an inspiration, I no longer laugh at the thought of running for public office; because I AM running for office. It is time for my generation to get off the couch and particpate in government.

Moore’s new documentary will be released on the internet to download for free on Tuesday September 23rd, at www.slakeruprising.com. I recommend watching this. Download it, and have your friends over for a Slacker house party. I guarentee they’ll think twice before casting a vote for more of the same.

1 comment:

Bob Alexander said...

AmericanSiCKO,

Great to hear you attended the premier in Ann Arbor, and that Michael asked folks to donate to my campaign to replace Rep. Mike Rogers! Sure hope folks are also contributing to your campaign for County Commission in Livingston. Please explain how folks can send you donations.

I ask for folks to send donations to me by going to my website, AlexanderforCongress.com, and donate using ActBlue.

We also need your help with the coordinated campaign to help elect Obama for President, Alexander for Congress, Donna Anderson for State Rep, and other Dems for State Rep, County Commission and county wide, and Township positions in Livingston County. We need help distributing our literature door to door and make phone calls urgin voters to vote for Democrats. Call our office at 810-229-42122.

Also, please check out our fine set of videos at www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=EB049858E58E053B

Thank you, and let's Make Livingston Blue Not Red,

Bob Alexander