Friday, September 21, 2007

Doing the Right Thing

I just read Liberal Lucy's post over at MichiganLiberal -- early this morning, Rep. Chris Ward (R-Brighton) voted in favor of HB 5195, raising the state income tax from 3.9% to 4.6%.

We're in the middle of a constitutional crisis. We have to come together and make a compromise.

I'm going to pay a very heavy political price for doing this. But I feel some solace in knowing I'm doing the right thing.

[skip]

My public schools are feeling a terrible crunch. Cost of public education is sky-rocketing, as are retirement, health care costs, etc. Good public schools mean a lot to me.

I abhor taxes, but this is a fair way to do it with the least impact on state services. This is the first of many, many difficult votes necessary for this chamber to move on from this crisis.


Citing constituent opinion "3 to 1 against tax increase", Ward temporarily stepped aside from his leadership position within the House Republican Caucus because he joined ranks with Speaker Andy Dillon (D-Redford Twp.) and Majority Floor Leader Steve Tobocman (D-Detroit) in voting for this bill.

No one likes higher taxes, but I think people dislike our state's financial mess even more. Let Rep. Ward know you appreciate his vote -- email or call 517-373-1784.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think Chris Ward deserves the thanks of all of us. He has taken a difficult step, but one that is essential for Michigan's future. It was the right thing to do. Please email or call him with your thanks. His contact info is (517) 373-1784, chrisward@house.mi.gov.