Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Real Hazard to America

I was in Washington D.C. on Monday to speak out on our privitized healthcare system. Myself along with my SiCKO sister Donna Smith, and 150 other concerned Americans stood outside the Capital Hilton Hotel; where the American Health Insurance Providers were conducting a conference, on how to manage profit. We had bull horns, signs, and best of all Donna and I dressed in Hazmat suits. We held caution tape around the front of the building, because the real hazard to America was inside.

We protested for an hour. That was long enough for them to get mad at us for disrubting their conference just as Newt Gingrich was speaking. I even got on the mega phone and told them how upset I was that our president gets excellent health care at our expense, yet my daughter can’t get on MI-Child, because he vetoed the SCHIP expansion last year.

The cops were there, but no one was arrested. In fact one cop gave us the thumbs up. There were reporters from the papers, but no big networks. It was truly an experience I will remember for the rest of my life.

Later on in the evening, a handful of people gathered at the reflecting pool to light candles and mourn those who have lost their lives because of our broken healthcare system. It was not as big as last year, and we changed the location. I will come back every year to do so, until we pass H.R. 676 and everybody has access to medicare. However, I hope that I won’t have to attend next year and hat we can change the way we do healthcare in America.

Here are the links to view some of the protest:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27VUsuyGp4w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYguvbuOmdM

No comments: